November 27, 2022

PGA Tour bans LIV Golf rebels in bitter power struggle
News

PGA Tour bans LIV Golf rebels in bitter power struggle

The US PGA Tour has slapped a ban on players who are competing in the rebel Saudi-funded LIV Golf series. The richest tournament in the sport’s history — with a purse of $25 million — got under way yesterday in London after a trumpet fanfare.

But the action was quickly overshadowed by a PGA Tour memo to its members informing them that those competing without releases at the event had been suspended. “These players have made their choice for their own financial-based reasons,” wrote Tour commissioner Jay Monahan. “But they can’t demand the same PGA Tour membership benefits, considerations, opportunities and platform as you. That expectation disrespects you, our fans and our partners.” The banned players include six-time major champion Phil Mickelson and former world number one Dustin Johnson.

LIV Golf called the PGA’s action “vindictive”, saying it “deepens the divide between the Tour and its members”. The dispute could be heading for the courtroom if any of the 17 players named by the PGA, 10 of whom had already resigned their Tour membership, pursue a legal challenge. The golfers who had already resigned included Johnson, Sergio Garcia, Louis Oosthuizen and Graeme McDowell. That group of players will be removed from the FedEx Cup points list following the end of this week’s Canadian Open and will not be able to compete on the Tour as non-members via a sponsor exemption or any other eligibility category.

Phil Mickelson follow his tee shot on the opening day of the LIV Golf Invitational Series (Photo by Adrian DENNIS / AFP)

Mickelson said he was “not going to discuss publicly” PGA Tour matters but McDowell said the situation was not healthy for the sport. “We’re here because we believe we’re independent contractors… we should be allowed to compete and play where we want to all over the world,” he said. Ryder Cup star Ian Poulter plans to appeal against the ban.  “It makes no sense. Having two tour cards and the ability to play golf all over the world, what’s wrong with that? ” he wondered.

Players asked for releases to compete in the LIV event in England — one of eight scheduled for this year — but their requests were rejected by the US-based PGA Tour, partly because there was a clash with the Canadian Open. Monahan warned any players who took part in future LIV Golf events would face the same fate, with multiple reports that US stars Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed plan to sign up.

Four-time major winner Rory McIlroy, currently playing in Toronto, said Monahan had simply enforced membership regulations and had “done the right thing”. The DP World Tour, formerly the European Tour, has yet to react over its players. The United States Golf Association said earlier this week that LIV players would be able to play in next week’s US Open.

The eight LIV tournaments this year, bankrolled by Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund, are worth an eye-watering combined $255 million. Organizers have pledged to “supercharge” golf, offering 54-hole tournaments with no cuts, “shotgun starts” and a team element. Players have faced tough questions over Saudi Arabia’s human rights record and have been accused of greed in chasing the huge rewards on offer. Mickelson did not dispel rumours he was receiving a fee of $200 million to compete, while Johnson is reportedly getting $150 million.

SOURCE: AFP NEWS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

X